February 19, 2007
The Wake County Board of Commissioners met in regular session Monday, February 19,
2007 at 2:00 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room, 7th Floor, Wake County Courthouse, Raleigh,
North Carolina. Members present were Commissioners Lindy Brown; Joe Bryan; Paul Coble;
Kenn M. Gardner; Tony Gurley; Betty Lou Ward; and Harold Webb.
· Continue to provide school operational funding above the minimum levels required by the State.
· Work with the Human Services Department’s Housing and Community Revitalization Division to expand affordable home ownership opportunities, especially for teachers, public safety workers, etc., in Wake County.
· Maintain a balanced and fair tax rate as it relates to the cost of doing business in Wake County.
· Wake County will partner with community groups to support arts and cultural opportunities in Wake County.
· Work with local law enforcement agencies, the School Board, and community groups to study under-age drinking prevention methods.
· Public Safety staff will continue to coordinate operations of EMS and fire systems throughout the County.
· Continue working with the City of Raleigh and the Town of Cary to consolidate water/sewer systems in Wake County.
· Wake County will continue to take a leadership role in identifying solutions for urban counties regionally, statewide and nationally.
· Continue to work with the municipalities and the Wake County Public School System to discuss common services where consolidation may be possible.
· Wake County will continue to facilitate cooperation among the twelve municipalities in the County, as well as other jurisdictions in the Triangle region.
· Amend the County’s state legislative agenda to request that I-540 be fully funded.
· Support the NCACC’s legislative goal to eliminate the health hazards of secondhand smoke by providing local governments and Boards of Trustees of Community Colleges the option of designating their buildings/campuses smoke free.